The goal of revitalizing a rundown East Baltimore neighborhood drove the restoration of the abandoned A. Hoen & Co. Lithograph building, once an anchor of the community. The 1900 property, originally a booming printing plant, had been vacant since 1981. It was purchased in 2016 by developer Cross Street Partners, which rebuilds under-resourced neighborhoods, with the idea of repurposing it for community outreach.
In 2018, the group tasked Ziger | Snead Architects with preserving the original fabric of the dilapidated complex of buildings—three historic structures and two warehouses totaling 86,000 square feet—while creating a state-of-the-art facility to house its Center for Neighborhood Innovation (CNI), among other initiatives. Architect Steve Ziger and his team retained the original structures’ open floor plans to expose heavy-timber and masonry construction. Obsolete systems, non-historic finishes and hazardous lead paint and asbestos were eliminated; brick was repointed; and original windows, fire doors and hardwood floors were salvaged. Exterior spaces create a courtyard for events and outdoor seating.
In addition to CNI, A. Hoen & Co. is now home to community-based nonprofits and social enterprises including Strong City Baltimore (pictured). Cross Street Partners and the contractor ABC Greater Baltimore have also moved in. The LEED Gold-certified building has earned historic preservation awards and an AIA Maryland Award of Excellence.
Renovation Architecture: Steve Ziger, FAIA; Jonathan Lessem, AIA, LEED AP, Ziger | Snead Architects, Baltimore, Maryland. Developer & Renovation Contractor: Cross Street Partners, Baltimore, Maryland.